title

Voting

Friday, July 2, 2010

Birthday Girl's Hero



















Looking for a cake that doesn't break the bank or the clock and will leave your favorite little girl oooohing and awwwwing? Well then, this is the cake for you!!!

And the kicker is, it was super easy!

My daughter turned 7 this year and her party theme was flowers. I was browsing the net and found a similar cake to this one. However, I pretty much just did my own thing once I got the idea. What could better fit a flower themed birthday than a rainbow cake! Not only on the outside, but on the inside???? Cutting into this cake was very fun!!! When we pulled the first piece out everyone in the room stopped and said wow! Even some of the dads! So be your birthday girl's super hero - make her a rainbow cake with the super easy instructions below!

*I made my rainbow cake SUPER tall, so I mixed two yellow cake mixes as directed. Then I measured them out equally into several bowls (one for each color, I had 4 colors).


*Next, I added color. I used the neon gel colors. You can pick them up at any grocery store. You could use whatever colors you want. I however, wanted intense color and these worked very well.


*Then using 9" round cake pans, I baked 2 cake layers of each color so that I had 8 thin layers all together. I baked them as instructed on the box. However, remember to keep a close eye on them, because they are thin and you don't want to overcook them. I took them out when a toothpick poked in the middle came out clean. This took a little bit of time, but because they were so thin, it really wasn't too bad. Then let cool.


*As for icing, I used one of my fave icings and tinted most of it blue. I withheld just a bit of it though and added yellow to this. I then placed the cake layers on top of each other alternating the blue & yellow icing so that there were even more colors on the inside. Ice the outside with the blue for the sky. Build a rainbow out of jelly beans or Mike & Ike's or whatever! Use mini marshmallows to garnish for clouds.


Remember I just saw something similar to this and ran with it! Isn't it funny how things give us inspiration??!! Where do you get your inspiration? If you try this and change it up, let me know! I'd love to get other people's feedback and ideas! Remember your only limitation is your imagination!


2 comments:

  1. love this but were is the pic of the inside? It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great cake. Thank you for the sweet comments you left on my blog. I need to get back into some scrapbooking soon!

    ReplyDelete